For Expectant Parents
The PDA has authored this page with useful information for postdocs who are expecting a child. It offers information generally applicable to postdoctoral fellows and scholars at UChicago. As each individual's situation is unique, it is strongly recommended that you direct specific questions to your faculty sponsor, departmental administrator or the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs.
Maternity Leave and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
IMPORTANT! Please talk to your advisor and departmental administrators. There are forms, approvals, and visa implications that need to be addressed in a timely manner.
Scholars - are eligible for Family and Medical Leave Act (3 months of unpaid maternity leave) after one year of employment. Information on the Family and Medical Leave act from the United States Department of Labor.
Fellows - should investigate the policies of their grant agency for addressing information on paid or unpaid maternity leave (if any). Fellows are NOT eligible for Family and Medical Leave Act from the University of Chicago.
The NIH Parental Leave Policy stipulates that NRSA trainees and fellows may receive stipends for up to 60 calendar days (equivalent to 8 work weeks) of parental leave per year for the adoption or the birth of a child. The training Program Director and supervisor(s) must be notified. This policy was updated on June 30, 2016.
Please also see our Postdoc Benefits chart for Scholars and Fellows.
Other Useful Information for Expectant Families
- PDA Blog on Child Birth - see one postdoc's timeline and tips!
- UChicago Family Resource Center and Guide for Parents
- Mailing list for Grad Student and Postdoc Parents
- Classes and Support for Expectant Families at UChicago
- Breastfeeding Information and Support from La Leche League
- BabyPhD Childcare
- Bright Horizons - UChicago Child Development Centers
- UChicago HR Childcare Resources
- Illinois Action for Children
Family Activities in Chicago
- The Laboratory Schools, Smart Museum, and Gerald Ratner Athletics Center offer a variety of programs for University of Chicago employees' children (postdoctoral fellows are not university employees and therefore ineligible).
- Parks and Playgrounds in Hyde Park
- Directory of Schools in Hyde Park
- the Smart Museum of Hyde Park has many free family activities.
- Chicago Public Libraries have Museum Passes for families
- Chicago Children's Museum
- Chicago Park District has a variety of programs for families
- Chicago Neighborhood Parents Network