Individual Development Plans
The Individual Development Plan (IDP) is a tool for career planning and yearly performance evaluations. A BSD version of an IDP is a part of your annual reappointment and review! The PDA has developed a hard copy of the IDP, available here.
Science Careers offers an interactive online IDP career assessment tool for postdocs to explore and develop their plan in a variety of career paths.
- Examine your skills, interests, and values with online assessements
- Explore scientific career paths that align with your skills & interests
- Set strategic goals for the coming year, with optional reminders to keep you on track
- Find articles and resources to guide you through the process
Postdocs are in a unique position where they are both mentees and often mentors to students in their labs. We will use a curriculum that reflects this dual role available from the University of Wisconsin.
Chicago Options in Career Empowerment or myCHOICE is the University of Chicago's Broadening Experiences in Scientific Training program funded by an NIH BEST grant. This program offers a variety of seminars, workshops, and internship opportunities for postdocs.
The National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN) for the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Academic Network (NRMN-CAN) is a supplemental award from the NRMN of which Dean Schwartz is a Principal Investigator. This program focuses on professional skills development, grantsmanship, and mentor training for postdocs and junior faculty, especially those underrepresented in STEM.
Offers career advisement for postdocs in all fields at the university.
Fill out this business card template and email to the Postdoctoral Affairs Administrator who will print out your 30 free personalized business cards.
Postdocs may now purchase subsidized business cards at chicagograd.biz.vistaprint.com. They cost $7 for 50 cards. Whether you’re heading to a conference or out onto the job market, you can use a template designed for UChicago postdocs and have cards shipped direct to you.
Online Career Resources
- Career Series on Biotechniques - "Early Career Planning in a Changing Postdoctoral Climate" and many others! June 2016
- National Postdoctoral Association Career Center
- PhDs.org: Science, Math, and Engineering Career Resources
- "Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty" Published by HHMI, this downloadable book is a collection of practical advice and experiences from seasoned biomedical investigators. The 2nd edition contains chapters on laboratory leadership, project management, teaching and course design.
- University of Chicago Biotechnology Association (UCBA) is a student run professional association that aims to help postdocs and students with their career development, focusing on exploring alternative careers, improving job seeking skills, and provides professional networking opportunities.
- Join our LinkedIn group!
- Dual Science Career Couples
- Sloan Career Cornerstone - non-profit resource center for those exploring career paths in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- Training and Career Development Resources for Postdocs and Early Career Scientists from NIH
- Professional societies also have great career resources!
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Association of Immunologists (AAI)
- American Crystallographic Association (ACA)
- American Medical Writers Association (AMWA)
- American Psychiatry Association (APA)
- American Physiological Society (APS)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
- American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB)
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET)
- American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG)
- Association for Women in Science (AWIS)
- Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP)
- Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- Biophysical Society
- Drug Information Association (DIA)
- Ecology Society of America (ESA)
- Endocrine Society
- European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO)
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
- Genetics Society of America (GSA)
- Medical Science Liaison Society (MSLS)
- National Academy of Sciences (NAS)
- National Research Council (NAS NRC)
- Regulatory Affairs Professional Society (RAPS)
- Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society
- Society for Developmental Biology (SDB)
- Society for General Microbiology
- Society for Neuroscience (SfN)
- Society for the Study of Evolution